43% — the average number of calories Americans consume from restaurants, catering companies, and other people’s homes per year. Research shows that people eat an average of 200 more calories on days when they eat a restaurant meal than when they eat each meal at home, and most Americans eat at restaurants every couple of days!
Eat This, Not That! is a helpful brand that studied 65 major chain restaurants and checked out their true nutritional values. Yahoo Health took their findings and calculated the total number of calories per entree at each restaurant — they compared average serving size, rewarded establishments that offer fruit and veggies as sides, and penalized places for using large amounts of trans fats and desserts.
Before you head out to eat this weekend, check out 5 of their Eat This, Not That! Restaurant Suggestions for dishes to delight in and those to avoid in order to save your waistline.
- Eat This: Soft Corn Tortilla Tacos with Steak, Cheese, Lettuce, and Fresh Tomato Salsa, 530 cals, 14g fat (7g saturated), 750mg sodium
- Not That!: Burrito with Steak, Black Beans, White Rice, Cheese, Sour Cream, and Roasted Chili-Corn Salsa, 1,090 cals, 40g fat (15g saturated), 2,165 mg sodium
- Eat This: Thin Crust with Grilled Chicken and Roasted Red Pepper (2 slices, large pie), 430 cals, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 900 mg sodium
- Not That!: Hand Tossed Crust Buffalo Chicken American Legends Pizza (2 slices, large pie), 680 cals, 34g fat (16g saturated), 1,700 mg sodium
- Eat This: McChicken, 370 cals, 17g fat (3.5g saturated), 650mg sodium
- Not That!: Premium Grilled Chicken Bacon Clubhouse Sandwich, 610 cals, 26g fat (9g saturated), 1,720mg sodium
- Eat This: Steak and Cheese Toasted Sandwich (6″) and Veggie Delite Salad, 525 cals, 11g fat (4.5g saturated), 1,105 mg sodium
- Not That!: Turkey Italiano Melt (6″) and Veggie Delite Salad, 794 cals, 26g fat (9g saturated), 1,565 mg sodium
- Eat This: Beef Gordita Supreme and Fresco Chicken Soft Taco, 530 cals, 16.5g fat (6g saturated), 950mg sodium
- Not That!: Fiesta Taco Salad with Beef, 770 calories, 41g fat (10g saturated, 1g trans), 1,590 mg sodium